Monday 5 May 2014

Frames of the mind - Photography ,memory and identity

I have come across an research electronic journal written in 2006 on exactly the themes i am exploring. Partricia Marcella Anwandter who studied at the university of Pennsylvania has created this piece of writing titled Frames of the mind; Photography , memory and identity . i have really enjoyed reading through this piece it has backed up a lot of the thing that i have struggled to put into words.  I have included to me the most important and fitting parts of the piece, I have also highlighted selected sentences and phrases , once individually extracted from the text and read as ins own content i think they could be really compelling possible titles for my final series . I am particularly drawn to the quote highlighted in purple , I think reworded and maybe shorted could create a great working title for my images . I like the sentiment . 


"Ever since that fateful day I have been fascinated by the seemingly magical
possibility of photographs to translate the raw materials of our fleeting experience--light and time--into tangible objects. These physical remnants function as souvenirs, precious
artifacts of where we have been, providing us with material proof that we were there:
This is us…then. The pictorial record we leave for ourselves serves two paradoxical
functions. It is both a unifying thread to connect our ever-changing present experiences
to the ongoing history of our lives and a force that fragments our continuous flow of
experience, disrupting it by highlighting the fractured moments we deem worthy of
capturing. In doing so, photographs speak to the interrelationship of objective and
subjective forces at work in the construction of reality, memory and identity."


"I remember these moments. They all flow together and that’s how I got here. I can recall precisely what it was to live in that very instant. Or can I? What of the other infinite moments that are gone as soon as they began? The medium of photography has been the vehicle through which I have tried to make my peace with time. There was a time when I once believed in the possibility of the image to truly capture a moment. A photograph served as the only objective proof a particular reality, even if limited to that very precise instance in time. And somehow, for that instant, as one steps behind the lens of a camera, and makes the momentous decision of what to frame within the viewfinder and what single instance to release their finger on the shutter release, he or she becomes in complete control of what this reality should be and how it will continue to be relived through the reinforcement of memory."


"The creation and possession of a photograph highlights the very
nature of that which can not be captured and owned. As we hold on to these precious
artifacts of time, we are offered a comfort that that moment can be held on to, that that very instant in time could live on forever"


"It is interesting to consider our relationship to this material object as personal
property to be owned. While on the one hand, we rely on photography for its seeming
ability to present the truth, it also offers us the illusion to claim private ownership over
instances which can never be fully possessed."

No comments:

Post a Comment